Friday, February 14, 2014

A Letter to My Daughter on the Eve of Her 3rd Birthday

To My Sweet Abbey Grace,

Tomorrow you will be 3 years old. People tell you that time flies by but until you have kids you don't understand it. You look at people like they are stupid when they tell you, "Don't blink. They'll be grown before you know it." But those silly people are right.

People also like to tell you how each age is the hardest. The sleepless nights of newborns, the terrible twos, the teenage years, and on and on. Truth be told, we all have bad moments of each of our years.

Your twos were no walk in the park. We had our difficult moments. You had meltdowns, I had meltdowns....

But honestly, this was my favorite yet. That's why I kept crying while singing "Snuggle Puppy" to you tonight.

Your twos were when I learned a heck of a lot about me. Things that I need to change in order to be the mommy you deserve. Ways I need to show you how strong and brave and beautiful you are.

Your twos were crazy busy for you! You grew in leaps and bounds in so many areas - your vocabulary, your tactile skills, your climbing abilities, you logical thinking. Sometimes it is hard to remember you are just 2. You can knock out a 24 piece puzzle like a ninja!

As I struggled to get you in bed tonight (because bedtime is a huge battle right now), I fought back tears the whole time- until I started singing. You looked at me funny then went back to fighting getting in bed. I just wanted to hold that moment and make time stop.

I don't want to forget you laying on your pink sheets in your crib turned toddler bed with your yellow & white stripped pillow case that has to have the opening on the left side so you can stick you hand inside of it. I don't want to forget your Bunny who is matted and faintly smells like pee, but who you have snuggled with every night for over a year. I don't want to forget the light snore you have or how your cheeks get rosy when you are tired. Or how you smack you lips right before you fall asleep.

When we wake up tomorrow, it will be your birthday. The day your daddy and I first got to hold you. Even though you had been with us for almost 10 months in my belly, that was the day we finally got to meet the love of our lives on the outside. And the fact that it happened on Valentine's Day made it like a fairy tale!

Tomorrow morning we should be heading to the airport to board a plane to go see your daddy in Pennsylvania. We had the coolest birthday weekend planned. This won't happen now because of the worst snow storm of 2014. Our flight got cancelled. You have been so excited about this trip. We were going to see daddy at the Mr. Luke concert! You were going to get to see your Mema and PopPop and play drums with your friends Stevie and Frankie.

Your daddy and I were scared to tell you the trip was cancelled because we figured you would be so sad. We sat you down to tell you and were prepared for tears and a tantrum. But instead we were told by our smart 2.90 year old, "It's ok guys. We're still family." Melt my freaking heart.

You are so right baby girl. No matter where we are, on any day of the year, we are always together, even when we are apart. Daddy has done a great job of teaching you that!

I know you won't read this blog anytime soon but I wanted to remember these things. And I wanted to tell you a few more things. So here goes:

No matter how old you are, you will always be our sweet baby girl.
No matter what you do, I will always love you.
I am so incredibly proud to be your mama just because you are you.
You can be anything you want to be.
You are amazing in so many ways.
You have a laugh that is contagious.
You have the most beautiful blue eyes ever.
You have an amazing personality that is so perfectly you.
You are incredibly talented in so many ways - coloring, puzzles, hugs, kisses, building blocks, running, climbing, singing, dancing.
You never, ever have to do anything to earn my love or your daddy's. We love you because you are you. Our love for you is always there. Even when you do something wrong and you get in trouble - we still love you. That never changes.

My wish for you, my sweet birthday girl, as you turn 3 years old, is that you will keep being Abbey Grace. That you will keep dressing up like Cinderella while playing with a bulldozer. That you will continue playing spaceship and being Buzz Lightyear. Keep fixing boo-boos like Doc McStuffins. The characters can change to whoever you would like them to be, just don't stop pretending. Keep telling your wonderful creative stories you make up. Keep laughing and smiling. Always believe you are "prettiful" because you are! Just keep being you! There is no one else you should ever be besides yourself! And always know you are loved!

"I love what you are, I love what you do, Oooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, I love You!" - Verse of Snuggle Puppy

I love you to infinity and beyond sweet girl!

Love always and forever,
Mommy




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...